How To Move Cross Country On A Budget
- 10 Practical Cross-Country Moving Tips
- Cross Country Moving Made Easy With Allegiance Van Lines
Moving cross country can seem like a daunting task, especially when you are on a budget. The key to making the process more manageable is to stay positive and flexible, plan early, and make informed decisions. If you are tempted to cut costs by attempting the move without hiring a moving company, don’t. Moving cross country is a significant undertaking. The process can be simplified by hiring professionals to assist you.
This guide provides practical tips and strategies for moving on a budget using cross-country movers.
10 Practical Cross-Country Moving Tips
There are many things you can do before the move that will make the whole experience less stressful. Here are a few practical tips that will help you:
- Start planning early
- Research various moving companies
- Try to choose off-peak dates
- Be flexible with dates
- Consolidated shipping/shared truck
- Choose the right truck size
- Declutter before packing
- Use free packing supplies
- Use space in your vehicle
- DIY unpacking
1. Start Planning Early
If you want the move to be smooth and successful, you need to start planning early. Compile a checklist of things to do as soon as possible. It’s a good idea to keep a special folder with all relevant paperwork and itemized tasks that must be accomplished before moving day.
It is also never too early to begin the mammoth task of organizing your belongings and decluttering. Pack whatever you know you won’t need before the move as early as possible.
2. Research Various Moving Companies
Conduct thorough research of reputable cross country movers. Request quotes and a breakdown of the services they offer to compare prices and services. Be wary of prices that are much lower/much higher than the average quote without a reasonable explanation.
Some other ways of researching moving companies and gauging the quality of their service are:
- Customer reviews on their website and social media
- Word-of-mouth reviews from people who have made use of their services
- Looking at their Google ratings
3. Choose Off-Peak Dates
Planning your move during “off-peak days” (weekdays as opposed to weekends) can significantly save costs. You can also save costs by avoiding peak moving seasons like summer, as you can secure lower rates due to the reduced demand.
Off-peak days/dates provide you with more negotiating power and increased availability of services. In Florida, off-peak times are usually:
- The middle weekends of the month. Try to avoid moving on the first and last weekends.
- Try to move in the middle of the week instead of over the weekend. Even if you choose the cheaper weekends, mid-week is usually more cost-effective.
- The least expensive time of day is midday. This may not be a practical option, especially if you have a big load, but it is worth investigating.
- Even in Florida, it is less expensive to move in fall or winter than in summer or spring. You will probably get the best deal if you plan your move for October to April.
4. Be Flexible With Dates
Moving companies know that most people cannot compromise on the moving date. Because of this knowledge, they often offer great deals on flexible dates. If you are fortunate enough to be able to move the collection and/or the delivery date, often on short notice, you may be able to negotiate a really good price.
If you have a small load and are prepared to share space on the moving truck with other customers, you can negotiate a reduced cost. Combining multiple shipments from different customers on one truck allows you to split the transportation cost with others, making it more affordable.
Opting for a shared truck means you still get the professional moving service for your relocation, just at a significantly lower cost.
6. Choose The Right Truck Size
Don’t pay for extra truck space that you do not need. The moving company will be able to advise you on exactly how much space you will need, provided you give them accurate information. Work closely with the moving company to determine the exact truck size or consider the shared truck option.
7. Declutter Before Packing
Moving cross country is the perfect opportunity to declutter and start afresh. Before packing, declutter ruthlessly. Go through each room carefully and sell or donate all items that you need/no longer use. Reducing the load will not only be a huge cost saver but will also make unpacking in your new home much more straightforward.
8. Use Free Packing Supplies
Save money on your relocation by using free packing supplies. Instead of purchasing expensive packing materials, gather free boxes from your local grocery or liquor stores or friends and family.
Start collecting boxes early so that you accumulate a variety of sizes. This will also allow you to pack efficiently. When collecting used boxes, be sure to choose:
- Boxes of various sizes and shapes.
- Boxes that look sturdy. Do not choose flimsy boxes that are likely to break easily.
- Boxes that have not been used for refrigerated items. These boxes may have gotten wet and had their integrity compromised.
- Do not choose boxes that have carried items with a very strong smell, like fish or disinfectants, especially if you plan to pack clothing or other fabrics in them.
You can further save packing costs by wrapping fragile items in towels, blankets, and clothing instead of expensive bubble wrap.
9. Use Space In Your Vehicle
If you are relocating by car and have extra space in your vehicle, you may want to use it to transport some items. Bear in mind, though, that when you transport your items, you are doing so at your own risk.
Moving companies are experts in their field and know how to move your valuables carefully. Some moving companies even provide insurance for damage or loss that will not cover items you transport yourself. If you are going to transport any items, choose non-valuable/non-fragile items.
10. DIY Unpacking
For the convenience of having your items unpacked on arrival, professional movers charge an additional service fee. Opting to unpack your belongings yourself could significantly lower the relocation costs, but beware of the unforeseen costs that DIY unpacking carry like:
- Unforeseen medical costs from an injury incurred while unpacking or moving heavy items
- Loss of income. It often takes a few days to move furniture around and unpack boxes. If you are self-employed, this could amount to many lost business/earning hours.
Cross Country Moving Made Easy With Allegiance Van Lines
Make your move seamless and stress-free by trusting your belongings to a reputable team of cross country movers.
Allegiance Van Lines is a family-owned, long-distance moving company who has been in the business for over 10 years. Trust an experienced and reliable crew to ensure that every aspect of your relocation is handled safely and efficiently. Call us at (561) 210-5120 today.